DIY Cider Fire Water.



I just started making Cider Fire Water this year and I'm addicted. So is anyone else I've given it to. I have had good results from avoiding colds to getting rid of bloat from overindulging (hello holiday eating).

It works because the raw apple cider vinegar extracts all the goodness from the 12+ veggies, fruits, herbs and spices you put in it and shake for 3-6 weeks and makes a perfect antibacterial, antiviral, immunity-boosting, congestion ridding cocktail.

I take it by just shooting it. Sometimes I take a little water after I shoot it, but I don't mind the flavor. In fact some people make salad dressing and marinades out of it. It's in short supply over here, so I haven't used it to cook with, but people do.

I have used the recipe from here with a couple adjustments. Also this is a great video showing a variation of the cider fire water. If you don't want to wait the 3-5 weeks you can order some here. It's a little pricy, but so are all the ingredients you have to source. There's no shame in outsourcing.

DIY CIDER FIRE WATER

try to source organic whenever possible. makes about 16 ounces.

½ cup peeled and diced horseradish
½ cup peeled and diced garlic
½ cup diced onion
¼ cup diced ginger
¼ cup peeled and diced turmeric
1 habanero chile, split in half
1 orange, quartered and thinly sliced crosswise
½ lemon, quartered and thinly sliced crosswise
½ cup chopped parsley
2 T chopped rosemary
2 T chopped thyme
1 T rosehips
1 t black peppercorns
2 to 3 cups raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar (at least 5% acidity)
¼ cup raw honey, or more to taste 

Place all of the vegetables, fruits, herbs, and spices in a clean 1-quart jar. Fill the jar with vinegar, covering all the ingredients and making sure there are no air bubbles. Cap the jar. If using a metal lid, place a piece of parchment between the jar and the lid to prevent corrosion from the vinegar. Shake well.

Let the jar sit for 3 to 6 weeks, shaking daily (or as often as you remember).

Strain the vinegar into a clean jar. Add honey to taste. You can refrigerate, but I go through it so fast that I don't.

Some additions or substitutions you could make:

Star Anise
Coriander Seeds
Schisandra Berries
Astragalus
Burdock
Oregano
Beet Root Powder
Habanero Powder
Bird's Eye Chili Powder
Whole Chili Peppers
Grapefruit
Lime

Let me know if you make it. Or better yet take a picture of your process and tag me on instagram @desimckinnon I would love to hear your results.

Labels: , , ,