Paletas Forever. Part 2


I love popsicles so much. My Dad worked at a grocery store called Lucky's when I was a kid and when popsicle boxes were opened up so that people could by individual pops we would get the remainders.

Sometimes they were smashed, but who the hell cares when you have a produce box of any ice cream sandwich or popsicle your little heart desires waiting for you in the freezer in the garage. Because of that box the sound of the ice cream truck has never tempted me. I always thought "I could have ice cream any time I want." I still think the same thought today. That's why ice cream lasts around here. No need to eat it super fast when you can have it whenever you want.

I had fun making these paletas and that collage you see up above. I hope if you make these you will let me know what you think.

hibiscus-berry paletas
adapted from paletas by fany gerson

2 cups hibiscus cooler or agua de jamaica ( 4 cups of water, 1 cup of dried hibiscus, 1/3 cup of sugar )
1/3 cup sugar
4 cups berries, fresh or frozen ( I used blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries )

To make the hibiscus cooler- Rinse the flowers in cold water and drain. Put 4 cups of the water and 1/3 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan. Heat until boiling and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup of dried hibiscus flowers.

Cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Strain into a pitcher and discard the used hibiscus flowers.

To make paletas- Let the hibiscus cooler cool for awhile if you just made it.

Mix berries with 1/3 cup sugar and allow to sit until the berries release some of their juices, about 30 minutes.

Divide berries and their juices evenly among the molds, then pour hibiscus cooler over the berries. Snap on lid, insert sticks and freeze until solid. About 5 hours. Enjoy.

nectarine and coconut paletas
made this one up myself

1 organic lemon
1/2 cup of water
1/3 cup sugar
1 2/3 cup of full fat coconut milk
2 cups of chopped nectarine

Rinse lemon, then peel it. Combine water and sugar in a saucepan. Cook until water boils and sugar has dissolved. Add lemon peel, lower heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool to room temp. Strain syrup, then refrigerate until chilled.

Combine coconut milk, the juice of your lemon, and syrup. Pour about 1" of the coconut mixture into the molds and freeze for about 20 minutes. Add nectarine to molds. Pour the remaining coconut mixture into the molds covering the nectarine. Snap on lid, insert sticks and freeze until solid. About 5 hours. Enjoy.

You can find my first Paletas post here.

Labels: , ,